‘Creating your professional identity’ (Module 2) is a five week online course where you will learn how to develop your brand image, design advanced technical repeats in Photoshop and Illustrator, put a collection together and start your own label. You will also learn how to understand and predict trends, how to get noticed and get press, and how to protect your work.
We have welcomed students onto our courses from over 65 countries around the world, and our classrooms are accessible on-line 24/7, so you can join us from any time zone and fit the course into your busy life.
Check out our latest research to see how our alumni rate the course, what they got out of it and why you should join us too!
If you’re interested in becoming a professional surface pattern designer, this module will provide the solid foundation you need for a successful design career.
Did you know you can make BIG SAVINGS when you sign up to multiple modules at the same time?
Module 2 includes:
- How to start your own label – you will do this by actually creating a sample collection, mini brand look book, press release, and trend report
- How to develop your signature look
- How to build your brand image and get people talking about you the way you want them to
- How to understand and predict trends (and how to layout a professional Trend Report in Adobe Illustrator)
- How to put a collection together
- How to get noticed and get press
- How to market yourself and build your online presence
- How to protect your work
- How to create technical repeats
- How to create static and rotating blog ads
- *NEW* BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guides to design using Photoshop and Illustrator. Find out more on our Technical Workshops page.
PLUS you will receive bonus industry insider tips, generic industry specifications for printing and designing for various products, a selection of template product examples to demonstrate industry standards and an industry jargon-buster!
AND the chance to get your work showcased in MOYO magazine, our dedicated online surface pattern publication.
This is for you if:
- You have completed Module 1 (although this is not a prerequisite) or have a basic working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator
- You have a basic understanding of surface pattern design and now want to start getting noticed
- You want to learn how to create more complex repeat patterns and build them into a sellable collection
- You want to set up your own label
- You want to put the foundations in place to pave the way for licensing and other ways of selling your work
- You want to connect with others with similar passions to you
- You are excited about the thought of making a name for yourself
Please note this course is not assessed and does not include individual critique of your work. You will need at least basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to get the most out of this module. Please note we do not offer technical guidance for any other software programmes (including free software).
Take a classroom tour!
Take a peek inside our classroom to see what’s in store for you – you’ll be amazed at what this class offers and how easy it is to learn on-line with us.
Testimonials and successes
Here are a handful of words used by previous students to describe this module: life-changing / invaluable to your career / oozing with creativity / inspiring and motivating / incredibly empowering / a fantastic way to learn / overflowing with information and exciting ideas / Loved it! / a real leap into the world of surface design
Course alumni have gone on launch their own design studios, win national awards, be featured in design books and on leading blogs and more. Many of our graduates have been signed for exciting licensing deals – such as Wendy Kendall with Deny Designs, Elizabeth Olwen with TeNeues, Anneline Sophia with Artscase.
Check out our Terms & Conditions. We strongly encourage you to read these before registering, as registering for one or more Modules acknowledges acceptance of these Terms & Conditions.
Check out what’s in store:
Week 1 - Collections
- For the love of pattern
- Putting a collection together
- Collection concept boards
- Working to a brief
- Exclusive interview with Louise Tiler
… and more! PLUS Bonus Technical Workshops on how to create a room set and how to use product templates to mock up products
Week 2 - Trends 1
- Understanding trends
- Trend influences
- Trend timelines
- Predicting trends
- Exclusive interview with Kim Mannino – Director of Trend Services at WGSN
… and more! PLUS Bonus Technical Workshops on how to create spot colours and tints, and how to create a professional looking trend report in Illustrator
Week 3 - Trends 2
- Trend reports
- Trend books and resources
- Gathering trend info from shows
- Designing to trends
- Doing your own thing
… and more! PLUS Bonus Technical Workshops on how to create pattern swatches, plus guidelines and a template for mocking up a mug
Week 4 - Brand 1
- Your brand image
- Delicious typography
- Branding your way
- Online & offline marketing
- Exclusive interview with Victoria Smith of sfgirlbybay.com
… and more! PLUS Bonus Technical Workshops on how to create a watermark, define patterns and fill shapes, and create a basic repeat in Photoshop
Week 5 - Brand 2
- PR Essentials
- Pitching yourself
- Protecting your work
- Setting up your own label
- Designing a wallpaper line
… and more! PLUS Bonus Technical Workshops on how to create static and rotating blog ads, and how to set up a wallpaper design to industry standards