Winter School is a global online design challenge (that takes place across 4 weeks, January to February) offering a host of exciting things including: briefs inspired by future A/W trend reports from the fabulous trend consultants Porter & Brawn, an amazing chance to get your designs printed onto fabric and gift wrap thanks to Fashion Formula, awesome downloads, fun tasks, lovely prizes, the chance to get published across the Make it in Design community and lots of treats along the way too!
Start your new year filled with inspiration and creativity by joining the Make it in Design Winter School. Sign up for our advanced track and use this opportunity to stretch yourself, connect with other designers, experience working to a brief, grow your portfolio and have the chance to get your work published!
IT ALL BEGINS HERE.
GET READY TO JOIN IN THE FUN WITH 50% OFF!
CLASS DATES: January 17 – February 11, 2022 (please note submission dates will be later)
Designs by Fiona Montgomery, Ziva Otta and Rachael Parker
- Two advanced creative briefs inspired future real Autumn/Winter trends to help you build your portfolio with product mock-ups featuring your patterns (one brief in weeks 1 & 3)
- Two trends exclusively curated by Porter & Brawn
- Two fun advanced design exercises to get you looking at things in a different way and doing things you’ve never done before (one exercise in weeks 2 & 4)
- A chance to see your work come alive on fabric and tea towels thanks to Fashion Formula who will select 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners
- Access to our private Winter School Facebook group where you can connect with other designers participating in this cool event
- Impressive downloadable rights-free stock product photography and room set image exclusively styled for Make it in Design to enable you to produce professional mock-ups for your portfolio
- Exclusive downloadable wallpaper for your desktop, phone and iPad!
- Chance to win a free place on self paced/ instant access Module 3: Monetising your designs
- Chance to get your work published on the Make it in Design website and across our social networks.
Examples of 3 pages from our up to 10-page creative design briefs
INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS
You will be able to tackle the briefs either on the computer or off the computer for the beginner track, however the intermediate creative briefs will be aimed at software users but our briefs are very open to interpretation.
The difference in Winter School tracks is that the briefs ask different things from our students dependent on their level of creative skill e.g. beginner would ask you to create a simple pattern, intermediate would ask for a more complex pattern with a mock-up and advanced an even more complex pattern or collection of patterns with mock-ups.
The different tracks also work on different trends and therefore the briefs are tailored to the different trends.
All tracks run at the same time so that our wonderful community can interact with one another in our private Facebook community for the duration of the event.
Please note Winter School does not include any technical guidance and can be done with any software you have available.
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY ...
What our graduates say
“I would describe this course as 'life changing'. I have learnt so much and feel more prepared and ready to begin my first steps into the world as a professional surface pattern designer.”
“I just love being part of this community and thank my lucky stars that I did all the modules! It's literally changed my life.”
“Each course I have taken is an absolute Aladdin's cave packed with delights. The level of support is unparalleled.”
“The courses have helped me rediscover my passion and love for all things print and pattern.”