We are incredibly proud of our alumni who are already thriving as designers, winning design contests, securing licensing deals and being featured in books and on major blogs.
Wow! Our Alumni Are Fantastic!
Module 1 graduate Rhiannon Pettie has launched her first collection with iPhone accessories company ArtsCase, card printing company Card Isle, AND has an upcoming collaboration with online stationery retailer Elum!
Tracy Miller a freelance graphic designer sold four designs to Cardmaking and Papercraft magazine (published in March 2016) thanks to a live brief offered by the company in our The Ultimate Portfolio Builder.
In 2015, Jo Elise took the brave decision to leave her full time job to establish her own brand. She now has a range of stationery which includes notebooks, greeting cards and calendars and a recent collaboration with online retailer Direct Blinds to her name!
Gail Myerscough is a surface pattern designer based in Manchester, UK. She is enjoying a run of successes including being featured in the February issue of The World of Interiors magazine, has a range of cards, cushions and mugs for sale at the Craft Shop in the Royal Exchange Theatre and is adding new products to her shop all the time! Way to go!
Dot & Flow Design
We were thrilled to hear that a number of our very talented course alumni have now formed a wonderful collective, Dot & Flow Design and were able to exhibit at Surtex in 2016 – best of luck to you all in the future!
Maine, USA -based self-proclaimed craft revolution ambassador, sewing and surface pattern designer Cindy Willingham has a number of sewing patterns in her line and more on the way – we can’t wait to see them!
Charlotte Brown is thrilled to have signed a number of exciting licensing deals in 2015. Alongside a range of luxury wallpapers with interiors company Eades Bespoke in the UK, her designs are also available as phone and tech cases through both Casetify and Deindesign. She’s certainly one to watch!
Charlotte Brown Wallpaper designs. Images courtesy of Eades Bespoke
Tanya Paget’s work was picked up by Feathr as a result of a Module 2: Designing your way brief. Two designs were selected for production as wallpaper and shown as part of the London Design festival at Tent London in September 2015 resulting in demand for other colourways and lots of great PR exposure! Tanya joined forces with other students taking the course to form a new collective called Finch & Foxglove, signed a contract with a cool agency in Scotland and exhibited at both Premiere Vision, Paris in February and Surtex New York in May 2016.
Jessica Wilde is now enjoying life as a freelance surface pattern designer; licensing her art, working with a design studio and developing her own range of products to sell on Not On The High Street. Her work was selected to feature in Marie Perkins’ ‘Print and Pattern: Geometric’ book, she won a recent Tigerprint competition and exhibited for the first time at The British Craft Trade Fair, Harrogate in 2016!
Jessica Wilde products. Images courtesy of NOTHS
Kelly Angelovic is enjoying continued success including a holiday card with Papyrus Greetings, a book cover design for a local author, sales of a new pattern of her with JoAnn Fabric, a holiday themed giveaway with her art tribe ‘Kindered Art Collective and a candle packaging design.
The Guildery have selected three of ABSPD student Beth Schneider’s pattern designs which they have curated in to the Walden Collection. This includes pillows in various sizes, wallpaper, table runners, tea towels, cloth napkins, wrapping paper, fabric by the yard, and their most recent product….fabric wrapping paper!
Image courtesy of Guildery
Alumni Features in MOYO Magazine!
We regularly showcase our alumni success in MOYO Magazine and on our blog here, along with some words from them about how the course helped them develop as a designer. Here are some fabulous examples of features and class showcases:
Alumni Success feature (in MOYO Issue 8 p.99 – 106)
Alumni Success feature (in MOYO Issue 7 p.139 – 144)
Gavin Ross Rutherford (in MOYO Issue 6 pg. 108 -109)
Genine Delahaye (in MOYO Issue 5 p.96-97)
Alumni Success feature (in MOYO Issue 5 p.106-109)
Sam Osborne (in MOYO Issue 4 p.76-77)
Alumni success group feature (in MOYO Issue 3 p.60-63)
Emily Truong (in MOYO Issue 3 p.58-59)
Simi Gauba (in MOYO Issue 2 p.42-43)
Suzanne Washington (in MOYO Issue 1 p.20-21)
Class showcase in MOYO Issue 6 pg. 112 – 117
Class showcase in MOYO Issue 5 pg 98-105
Class showcase in MOYO Issue 4 p.80-83
Class showcase in MOYO Issue 3 p.68-69
Class showcase in MOYO Issue 2 p.44-48
More Exciting Success!
- Metka Hiti sold four designs to Cardmaking and Papercraft magazine (published in February 2016) thanks to a live brief offered by the company in our The UPB course.
- ABSPD graduates Dawn Gonzales and Amanda Laing had illustrations selected to appear in the UPPERCASE Creative Calendar 2016 coming out in January. You adult coloring book addicts will love this 365 day coloring calendar full of creative prompts, patterns and whimsical illustrations from a very talented group of international artists. https://uppercasemagazine.com/subscribe/
- ABSPD graduate Carrie Schmitt from Seattle, Washington releases her first book ‘Painted Blossoms’ published by North Light Books. Congratulations Carrie! Carrie’s work is also licensed with several home décor and stationery companies, including Dianoche Designs, Hallmark and teNeues Publishing.
- Catherine Worsley of Northern Lights Creative has won her first licensing deal with Shibumi Home after taking Modules 1 to 3!
- Ali Benyon launches two new books; ‘From Little Things‘ an ebook all about how to run a successful creative business and ‘Stitched Paper Art for Kids‘ offering 22 awesome sewing projects
- Alice Perry has licensed designs with watch company May28th and several other exciting freelance briefs. She has also partnered with Not On The High Street selling her illustrations.
- Joanne Cocker’s career really took off after taking our ABSPD courses. She has her first licensing deal with Keka case. She’ll soon be featured in a book and has already found fame in both Uppercase magazine (the surface pattern guide) and Moyo magazine.
- Successful alumni Mel Smith has had her designs picked up by John Lewis and several other stores nationwide.
- Mary Tanana is currently working with Card Crazy developing a line of greeting cards after being selected as one of the live brief winners.
- Emma Cochrane went from taking our Module 1 course to winning a Barker and Stonehouse cushion designing competition in less than 4 months!
- After taking our ABSPD courses, Netherlands-based Saskia Van Cleef founded ‘Haakje Sluiten Design’ in 2014 designing and making her own fashion line
- Michelle Manolov, Bethania Lima, Brandi Powell and Virginia Njeri Kama will soon have collections on Modern Yardage
- Anneline Sophia joined Modern Yardage with her beautiful design collections.
- Katy Hackney won the 2014 Ideal Home Wallpaper Design of the Year Competition, three of the finalist were all from our ABSPD community! We would also like to congratulate Martha Copinger Binns (who was also a finalist last year!) & Vickie Price from Ameo Designs for making the top five! This is the second year running one of our graduates has won, following Wendy Kendall‘s success in 2013.
- Liz Ablashi, Gill Eggleston, Julie Hamilton and Mary Tanana were all hand-picked by Modern Yardage
- Mel Smith, Suzanne Washington, Alice Perry, Lauren Britchford, Sian Elin and Elizabeth Olwen have been signed by Wallpapered.com
- Congratulations to all of our students who exhibited at international tradeshows such as Surtex, Progressive greetings and Pulse so far in 2014. More to come later in the year! Check out all our Tradeshow features here
- Wendy Kendall won the 2013 Ideal Home Wallpaper Design of the Year Competition, and two of the other four finalists were also ABSPD alumni – Martha Copinger Binns and Laura Escalante Mora. This follows on from success the previous year when alumni Nicky Griffiths and Jane Bridges were also shortlisted as two of the five finalists in the 2012 Ideal Home Wallpaper Design of the Year Competition
- Maraya Rodostianos (Print Paper Cloth) has been signed by Wallpaper Republic
- Susan Driscoll, Suzanne Washington and Catherine Young have been selected for the Kids Print & Pattern’ book by Bowie Style
- Nicky Ovitt, Diane Rooney and Schatzi Brown have been selected to feature in the new Logo book from Zeixs
- A staggering TWENTY of our students are to have designs featured the upcoming Patternbase book
- Veronica Galbraith‘s work has been selected to appear in the TEXITURA trend book. You can see it here!
- Veena Solanki won the Elle Decoration rug design contest and three other alumni (Simon Reeves, Liz Smith and Bethania Lima) were runners up!
- Susan Driscoll saw off more than 900 other designers to win the Tigerprint Design A Print competition
- Elizabeth Olwen won the Tigerprint Mens Fashion Icons and Symbols competition
- Georgina Vasiliou and Mary Tanana both won “Heaven’s Door Project” at Beta Fashion. Their scarves are on sale at Topshop!
- Dunia Kirschner, Alik Arzoumanian and Emily Ann Studio were all runners up in the Tigerprint Black and White Print Competition
- Suzanne Washington has designed a range for Art2Start and won a scarf-design contest with Beta Fashion that will see her scarf sold in Topshop
- Tammie Bennett and Suzanne Washington were runners up in this Tigerprint design contest
- Jennie Whitham was a runner up in this Spoonflower fabric design contest
- P&P Scholarship winner Simi Gauba’s mugs are now being sold in Austria and Germany by Momax
- Alice Perry, Andie Hartley, Sian Elin, Justine Aldersley-Williams, Suzanne Washington, Viola Brun, Bonnie Christine, Sandee Hjorth, Ellie Rampton, Katy Hackney, Natalie Alexander, Bethan Janine Westran, Maraya Rodostianos, Susan Driscoll, Femi Ford and many other students have had their work featured on leading pattern blog Print & Pattern and other blogs such as the Tigerprint design blog.