Are you an emerging designer ready to make it big in the surface pattern design world? This is an incredible opportunity to win a design scholarship worth over £1,280 to help you on your way! Please note the next application period will be November 2017.
The 2018 Print & Pattern/Make it in Design Scholarship (worth over £1,280!)
Are you an emerging designer ready to make it big in the surface pattern design world?
This is an incredible opportunity to win a design scholarship worth over £1,280 to help you on your way! Sponsored by Print & Pattern, the Make it in Design Scholarship will provide you with access to over a year’s worth of top surface pattern design e-courses, access to top trend site WGSN and a host of exciting promotional opportunities.
One person will win the following:
- A free place on all 4 modules of The Art and Business of Surface Design (M1: Designing your way; M2: Creating your professional identity; M3: Monetising your designs) and The Ultimate Portfolio Builder
- 180 days’ free access to WGSN
- The opportunity to be featured on the Print & Pattern blog, in MOYO Magazine and on the Make it in Design site
Last year the standard was so high that 3 LUCKY winners were finally chosen and a further 6 runner up prizes were awarded.
WANT TO ENTER? – CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS DECEMBER 30th 2017!
READ BELOW FOR THE FULL DETAILS
HOW TO ENTER
Send the following to [email protected] by midnight GMT on Saturday 30 December 2017 with ‘P&P Scholarship Application’ in the title of your email:
- Your full name, country, email address and website/blog link if available
- Max 100 words about why you are interested in surface pattern design as a career path (feel free to include reference to any experience you have – but don’t worry if you don’t have any experience!)
- Max 100 words about why the course would be valuable to you (all text to be included in the body of your email, not as an attachment)
- Two images of patterns you have designed (sent as a 550px wide square jpg attachment)
- FILE NAMING: please put your full name and pattern name (if there is one) into the JPG file name – example: Rachael-Taylor-Sunburst.jpg
THE SMALL PRINT
By submitting a scholarship application you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Applications not submitted in accordance with the guidelines above will be rejected
- The scholarship is open to anyone aged 18 or over from anywhere in the world
- Applications must be made in English
- If the winner has already taken one or more modules of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design they may choose to either skip or retake that module. However, the prize is not transferable and no cash alternative is available. However, if the winner is registered for any future course (January 2018 or later), their class fee will be reimbursed
- Modules must be taken in succession as follows: Module 1 – February 2018; Module 2 – May 2018; Module 3 – September 2018′ The Ultimate Portfolio Builder February 2019
- Access to WGSN will be granted at the end of Module 3 and The Ultimate Portfolio Builder
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- By submitting your work you agree to be featured online or in print by Rachael Taylor, Do What You Love, Make it in Design, MOYO, Print & Pattern or any other third party chosen by Rachael Taylor and/or Beth Kempton in relation to this opportunity, at any time now or in the future. In such an instance no fees will be payable for the inclusion of your work in any promotional materials relating to the course
- There is no fee payable to enter
- You will retain all rights relating to your images
• Deadline for submitting applications: Midnight GMT on Saturday 30 December 2017
• Announcement of winner: Tuesday January 23, 2018
• Module 1 class starts for winner: Monday February 19, 2018
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions
OUR 2017 WINNERS
Here we reveal the winners of the 2017 Make it in Design Scholarship in association with Print & Pattern.
We received fabulous and beautiful design entries from over 200 applicants from 39 different countries and had our panel of judges had such a wonderful time reviewing all of the AMAZING applications. We are absolutely thrilled that so many people want to get into the exciting world of surface pattern design, and recognise Make it in Design as a fantastic way to do that.
Entries were shortlisted by ABSPD co-founders Rachael Taylor and Beth Kempton, following which Marie Perkins of the Print & Pattern blog joined the panel to select the final winner. As we had so many amazing designs it was decided that we would have not just one winner, but will offer THREE full scholarships and SEVEN runner up prizes!
Our panel of judges said: “It really was an honor and privilege to look through all the fantastic submissions from around the world. We LOVE pattern and look forward to welcoming each of our winners and runners up into the Make it in Design community. Congratulations to all our winners, and thank you to everyone who entered – it really was a pleasure”.
Maria Atanackovic | Ireland | Instagram
Marie Perkins of Print Pattern selected Maria Atanackovic as her overall winner.
“Maria created a unique take on the traditional floral pattern just by using simple abstract shapes. She also appears very interested in colour and obviously enjoys creating original combinations.”
Karen Kuchel | USA | Website
ABSPD co-founder Rachael Taylor selected Karen Kuchel as her overall winner.
“I loved the depth within Karen’s design and the striking blue tones used. The pattern feels luxurious and decorative without being too ornate in style. She has echoed elements used in a traditional Moroccan pattern however it’s all been executed with confidence and in her own contemporary and unique way. I find the design really eye catching and it really demands your attention.”
Heather Anderson | Canada | Website
ABSPD co-founder Beth Kempton selected Heather Anderson as her overall winner.
“A beautiful illustrative style with a complimentary colour palette is what appealed to me about Heather’s design. I look forward to seeing more of Heather’s style and it evolving through to product as I’d love to see this on fabric or stationery.”
Congratulations Maria, Karen and Heather – you are our winners! Get ready to launch your surface pattern design career. You each win:
- A free place on all 4 modules of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design (M1: Designing your way; M2: Creating your professional identity; M3: Monetising your designs and The Ultimate Portfolio Builder) worth over £1,280
- Complimentary access to leading trend website WGSN for 180 days
- The opportunity to be featured on the Print & Pattern blog, in MOYO Magazine and on the Make It In Design site
2017 RUNNERS UP
The following seven designers were also so impressive that we decided to offer more prizes. All of you will receive a free place on the ABSPD Module 1 class that is starting on February 20, 2017.
Alyssa Steiger | USA | Website
We were struck by the use of texture, depth and detail in the work of Alyssa. A really interesting theme and something we would buy on a notebook or a piece of fabric.
Ellie Green |UK | Website
A wonderfully bold and colourful print – we could really see this on a fashion print.
Jessica Cooper | UK| Instagram
Jessica has such a beautiful illustrative style, we love the combination of traditional media used digitally. The design is really fun whilst also being very elegant and commercial. We really love the mix of shoes styles that she illustrated – they make a great pattern.
Laura Ochando | Spain | Instagram
Laura submitted a great floral design using stylised shapes to create a really detailed design that is full of interest.
Liz Harry | UK | Website
We really enjoyed Liz’s fun and quirky design and found the colours to be captivating and really fresh. She incorporated a great sense of layering and composition through her simplistic shapes and abstract motifs. We think the design is very commercial and versatile for a number of areas within the marketplace.
We enjoyed the fun painterly style of Michelle’s cactus print. This fresh feeling print has all kinds of different details going on such as stripes, ticks, and crosses which draw your eye in.
Naomi Kratz | UK | Website
Naomi’s work has a lovely sketchy style and is full of texture. She also makes her animal illustrations very cute which is an ideal skill to have in the commercial world.
OUR 2016 WINNERS
Read our interviews with last year’s winners (click on the image to take you to it!) and see their beautiful winning designs below:
Marie from ‘Print and Pattern’ said of Ashely and her work that it ‘captures the current mood for hand painted elements in this fab collage which has interesting textures within it also taps into the fashionable Memphis revival‘.
Rachael found the illustrative style of Mel’s piece to be ‘really innovative and fresh, it feels fun, quirky and a little bit edgy at the same time. It really stood out to me as a very unique concept that still had great commercial appeal. I found the design really exciting to look at and I also loved the overall composition of the pattern. I think it would look particularly striking on a fashion led stationery range‘.
Beth was ‘intrigued by the combination of gentle line drawing and beautifully rendered paint elements. Bianca’s piece took me straight to the tropics and I could imagine this on a host of product applications, from stationery to fashion’.
2016 RUNNERS UP
OUR 2015 WINNERS
Previous winners have found this scholarship to be a huge boost to their careers. In 2015 we selected 3 LUCKY winners and a further 7 runner up prizes were awarded. Read the winners announcement.
Below is a reminder of the winning designs and a link to their latest interview.
2015 RUNNERS UP