Module 1: Designing Your Way is an instant-access / self-paced online course where you will learn everything you need to know to turn basic sketches into patterns! In this acclaimed e-courses, you’ll find out more about colour and pattern, how to create mood boards, and even how to create repeat patterns in Adobe Illustrator. No experience or artistic knowledge is needed to begin – we will teach you all you need to know!
Module 1 is a fantastic introduction to the surface pattern design industry and helps YOU to find your passion, personal style and place within it.
We have welcomed students onto our courses from over 100 countries around the world, and our classrooms are accessible on-line 24/7, so you can join us from any time zone and fit the course into your busy life. Whether you’re just starting out or are looking to refresh your skills, this is the start of a very exciting journey with new friends in preparation for a successful surface pattern career.
Module 1 includes:
- How and where to seek out design inspiration
- How to work with colour
- How to create moodboards
- How to build a pattern
- How to develop your signature style and use this to brand your business
- How to turn elements of a mixed media painting into a pattern (featuring the work of Kelly Rae Roberts)
- How to create repeats in Adobe Illustrator
- Time-saving tricks and industry insider tips
- The secrets of successful surface pattern designers
- Downloadable pattern source guide
- BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guide to scanning images and basic manipulation in Photoshop and Illustrator, playing with colour and sketching and creating repeats on your computer. See the whole list on our Technical Workshops page.
- Not only this, you also get a peek behind the scenes of Rachael Taylor’s life as a dynamic and successful professional surface pattern designer and a glimpse at some previously unpublished designs!
This is for you if:
- You are drawn to colour and pattern
- You want to learn more about how to create your own patterns
- You don’t have time to study surface pattern design at college or university
- You want to join a community of like-minded people on a fun and inspiring creative journey
- You dream of one day licensing your own designs but don’t know where to begin (NB this is the first step – Modules 2 and 3 provide more business-related advice)
- You will do this by actually creating a set of source images, designing your own motifs, putting together a colour swatch and a moodboard and designing a set of business stationery.
- NB: You do not absolutely need a computer for the creative exercises in Module 1, but you will be given valuable bonus technical guides to help you design on the computer should you wish to. Please note we do not offer technical guidance for any programmes other than Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (including free software).
- Please also note that this course is not assessed and does not include individual critique of your work.
Module 2: Creating Your Professional Identity is an instant access / self-paced online course where you will learn how to develop your brand image, design advanced technical repeats in Photoshop and Illustrator, put a collection together, and start your own label! You will also learn how to understand and predict trends, how to get noticed and get press, and how to protect your work.
We have welcomed students onto our courses from over 100 countries around the world, and our classrooms are accessible on-line 24/7, so you can join us from any time zone and fit the course into your busy life. If you’re interested in becoming a professional surface pattern designer, this module will provide the solid foundation you need for a successful design career.
Module 2 includes:
- How to start your own label – you will do this by actually creating a sample collection, mini brand look book, press release, and trend report
- How to develop your signature look
- How to build your brand image and get people talking about you the way you want them to
- How to understand and predict trends (and how to layout a professional Trend Report in Adobe Illustrator)
- How to put a collection together
- How to get noticed and get press
- How to market yourself and build your online presence
- How to protect your work
- How to create technical repeats
- How to create static and rotating blog ads
- BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guides to design using Photoshop and Illustrator.
- You will also receive bonus industry insider tips, generic industry specifications for printing and designing for various products, a selection of template product examples to demonstrate industry standards and an industry jargon-buster! AND the chance to get your work showcased in MOYO magazine, our dedicated online surface pattern publication.
This is for you if:
- You have completed Module 1 (although this is not a prerequisite) or have a basic working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator
- You have a basic understanding of surface pattern design and now want to start getting noticed
- You want to learn how to create more complex repeat patterns and build them into a sellable collection
- You want to set up your own label
- You want to put the foundations in place to pave the way for licensing and other ways of selling your work
- You want to connect with others with similar passions to you
- You are excited about the thought of making a name for yourself
- Please note this course is not assessed and does not include individual critique of your work. You will need at least basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to get the most out of this module. Please note we do not offer technical guidance for any other software programmes (including free software)
Module 3: Monetising Your Designs is a five week online course where you will learn everything you need to know to monetise your designs!
This course includes the nitty gritty of freelancing, licensing, selling outright, manufacturing and more PLUS briefs from real companies AND Rachael Taylor’s little black book of industry contacts!
We have welcomed students onto our courses from over 100 countries around the world, and our classrooms are accessible on-line 24/7, so you can join us from any time zone and fit the course into your busy life. Plus, you can access the classroom for up to six months after the course finishes. If you want to feel confident launching your own successful business and understanding all that entails being a professional surface pattern designer, this module is for you.
Module 3 includes:
- How to identify multiple streams of income for your designs
- How to sell and license your designs (what they don’t teach you at art school)
- The ins and outs of freelancing
- How to get into manufacturing your own product
- How to choose the right distribution channel for you
- How to negotiate a contract that is right for you
- How not to get ripped off
- How to manage your time and money
- How to manage stock levels
- How to get a job in design
- How to stay motivated
- How to create a pattern portfolio to show to potential clients
- How to apply patterns to mock up product templates and room sets
- How to turn a placement print into a technical repeat for wallpaper or fabric
- Everything you need to know about getting in, getting ready and attracting customers at trade shows
- How to design a Trade Show Brochure in Adobe Illustrator
- Invaluable industry info such as colour print specifications for both paper goods & textiles
- You will do this by actually creating a mini portfolio for potential licensing clients, a trade show plan and a business development plan.
- BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guides to surface pattern design using Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Our money-can’t-buy bonus little black book of industry contacts!
This is for you if:
- You have completed Module 2 (although this is not a prerequisite)
- You have a collection of work but do not know how to get it out in the world, and get it sold
- You want to learn more complex techniques for sophisticated and commercially-appealing surface pattern design
- You want to connect with other emerging designers and learn from industry experts
- You want to know the right contacts in industry to get you where you want to be
- You want to generate more income from your existing designs
- You want to know just how to secure that licensing deal
- You want to make it as a professional surface pattern designer
- Please note this course is not assessed and does not include individual critique of your work.
You will need at least basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to get the most out of this module. Please note we do not offer technical guidance for any other software programmes (including free software).
What our graduates say
“I would describe this course as 'life changing'. I have learnt so much and feel more prepared and ready to begin my first steps into the world as a professional surface pattern designer.”
“I just love being part of this community and thank my lucky stars that I did all the modules! It's literally changed my life.”
“Each course I have taken is an absolute Aladdin's cave packed with delights. The level of support is unparalleled.”
“The courses have helped me rediscover my passion and love for all things print and pattern.”